The History of the Butler Farm Show, Inc.
Compiled by LeeRoy Miller
Updated by Ken Metrick
“It began with a plow and grew into a family tradition.”
In 1947 a plowing contest was held on the Jack Roe property in Meridian. This was the birth of an idea to get the city folks, businessmen, and farmers together to better understand one another. Some farm organizations sponsored the educational program. The idea was so well received that it was decided to form an organization to keep the event alive. The organization became the Butler Farm Show, Inc., in 1948.
A constitution and by-laws were written, with the aid of the Butler County Extension Service, by men interested in supporting the county youth through the 4-H clubs and Vocational Agricultural Division of the Future Farmers Association. Several lawyers willingly donated their services. The by-laws were designed to in- sure that no one person or group could ever gain complete control or benefit financially from the Farm Show. All income is returned for payment of debts or improvements. Directors volunteer their services in many capacities.
The board is a diverse group coming from agriculture and agri-business, as well as non-agricultural areas such as industry, education, finance, and business. They work hard all year to plan and implement the Farm Show exhibits and entertainment.
As acreage became available, several tracts were purchased, and at present over 100 acres are owned by the Butler Farm Show. About 12 years after the founding of the Farm Show, the grass airstrip on the grounds was replaced with a 2,200 ft. black-topped airstrip, which was named in honor of W. L. Roe, who contributed a great deal to the Farm Show. The Meridian Fire Co. food stand (now known as the restaurant) was built the same year.
The Farm Show has grown steadily through the years. In 1956 the land was cleared for a 3-1/2 acre lake, as part of the long range plans to make the grounds a year-round recreational area. The Agricultural Building was constructed that year, adding 12,000 sq. ft. of indoor space for exhibits. In 1958 three permanent barns were added (now used for dairy exhibits), providing nearly 18,000 sq. ft. for year-round use. In 1977-78 the horse and sheep barns were completed and in 1984 the beef barn. In 1984 the American Heritage Showcase began. It has grown into one of the largest displays of antique tractors, farm equipment and other items of yesteryear at any western PA fair. Other improvements over the years have been the beautification of the main entrance, the horse show arena, paved roads, the water system, the rest- rooms and an improved arena track and pit area. In 1989 and 1991 two 60’ x 120’ exhibit halls were built adjacent to the lake for more commercial displays.
An additional 5 acres of wooded land at the southern end of the airport runway was purchased in 1993 with the help of a grant from the PennDOT, Bureau of Aviation. Repairs and upgrades to buildings and roads continued each year. In 1994 the CB Rangers building (located at Gate 1) was purchased for use as a permanent office and was totally remodeled. In 1995-97 the present grandstands and pressbox were constructed in phases as funding became available. Also, in 1995 a new milking parlor and milkhouse were built at the dairy complex. This addition allowed visitors to view cows being milked as well as the bulk cooling tank where milk is stored until it is shipped to a dairy. An all- weather auditorium pavilion with a permanent stage was built and a smaller shelter and stage for variety acts was erected near the home-produced products/arts & crafts area.
The years to follow saw many improvements to the Farm Show. A permanent rabbit barn was built in 1998. Space was leased for cell towers to be erected, providing some additional annual income. One of the biggest projects for the Farm Show was the construction of a large permanent office complex to house offices for the United States Department of Agriculture. A long-term lease was signed with the USDA, providing another source of year-round income. Restroom facilities were totally remodeled and updated in 2004 and 2012. New roofs were also put on the dairy barns and Ag Building. Both campgrounds were expanded, adding water and electric sources. The Meridian Fire Co. Building was another structure that was totally renovated. With the acquisition of a new tenant, the building is now a full-service, sit-down restaurant during the annual Farm Show. Electric poles and access panels are constantly being upgraded.
The first step of computerization began in the premium office in 2002, and as of 2014, all aspects of the Farm Show, including finances, were completely computerized. To better aid the vendors and exhibitors, WiFi was added on the grounds as well. New air-conditioned ticket booths were built for all 4 public entrances and both grandstand entrances. In 2014 a permanent ticket booth was constructed at the main entrance. This structure also housed the security quarters and the first aid office.
Grounds improvements continue yearly. In 2015 the main concession road was widened and electric poles were replaced and relocated to behind the food stands rather than along the roadway in the front of them. New water hydrants were installed eliminating hoses being laid across walkways.
In 2017 trees were removed from the perimeter of the property at the Buttercup Road entrance and adjacent to the airport, and permanent fencing was installed to secure the borders of the property. Also in 2017, an additional three acres with a house and garage were purchased, enabling much needed expansion to the grounds near the Buttercup Road entrance. Through a generous gift from the Sylvania Foundation, a show pavilion was constructed in 2019 for the dairy and goat shows.
In 2013 the Board of Directors voted to form a Junior Board. The purpose was to instill in these young people (ages 16-24) the values that the Farm Show was founded upon and pass along this heritage and culture so they are well equipped to maintain the Farm Show for future generations. They have the opportunity to experience what is involved in the operation of the Farm Show and the workings of the Board and committees as well as learning our history, heritage and values.
The Butler Farm Show has been, and always will be, a “family-oriented show” as long as there are dedicated directors, members, volunteers, and faithful exhibitors and patrons. Today, as in 1947, our goals remain the same. As the torch is passed to each generation, the values of our founders are instilled in them. All involved persons strive to educate each other as well as visitors in a productive and entertaining manner, so that farm, city and business people may gain a better understanding of each other’s way of life.